Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Ingredient in the Spotlight: Akamiso (Red Miso) & Shiro Miso (White Miso)

おみそは作る物じゃない!買う物だ!Roughly translated "Miso isn't something you make but something you buy!" That's what my aunt said in protest when my uncle (who was raised on my grandmother's homemade miso) asked his wife to start making miso for him. I guess she thought of miso like ketchup. How many people would go through the painstaking process of making ketchup? It's so easy to buy it at the grocery store. The funny thing was that she was convinced that she could find store bought miso to satisfy my uncle. After about 100 different varieties of koyu miso (expensive high quality miso) and a few years later, she finally gave up and asked my grandmother how to make it.

I'm not going to post my grandmother's miso recipe because...well I don't have it. I buy miso. One of these days I hope to learn.

I wanted to talk about the different types of miso. The most common types of miso are awase miso, akamiso and shiromiso. Akamiso (Red miso) is named after reddish brown color and shiro miso (white miso) for it's pale golden color. Lastly there is awase miso or mixed miso.

I found a really nice chart that summarizes the differences between akamiso and shiromiso.


Shiromiso


Akamiso

No comments:

Post a Comment