Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Health Care is the Pits!

I’m just going to write a short blurb about it because I feel so strongly about it but I don’t want to go on for very long about it because it’s making my stomach worse. I was diagnosed with chronic gastritis and duodenditis. It’s not as bad as an ulcer but it feels like one sometimes. There are a few reasons why my stomach is the way it is but I’m not going to go into that now.

Back to health care. I had an endoscopy done in November to check what was going on with my stomach. It’s basically just a biopsy and they stick a camera down your throat to see what’s going on. Fun stuff huh. I went to a surgery center to have this done because my doctor said it would be a good idea given my symptoms. I wanted to make sure that the procedure would be covered by my insurance because there was no way I could pay for it, if is wasn’t. The doctor and his office reassured me that he was a provider for my insurance company (I have a PPO) and so my insurance would cover the procedure. Fast forward 2 and a half months later and I receive a bill for $7,500. WTF? Apparently, the doctor is a provider but because he performed it at a surgery center and not at his office, it’s not covered. It’s such BS. First of all, they lied to me and secondly, why isn’t there some sort of andon cord for this type of thing? Not that the andon cord is working for Toyota right now...I digress. UUUUUGH! I called my insurance company after receiving my ridiculous Explanation of Benefits (more like Explanation of we take your monthly payments and you can shove the rest up your ass). They told me to file a grievance form online and that they will get back to me in two days. Meanwhile I will have to wait and twittle my thumbs while they decide whether or not to accept my appeal. Ironically, the procedure that was supposed to help me diagnose and fix my stomach is making it worse!

I will not be writing about food for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment